dcsimg
Automotive OEM Metal Topcoat and Clearcoat

Clear winners

Polyurethanes provide outstanding automotive clearcoat performance

Automotive coatings used to protect cars must be resistant to weather, sunlight, scratching, chipping, cleaners and chemicals to keep them looking like new.

topcoat
Automotive topcoats and clearcoats

The most common process (approximately 80 percent) is for a two-coat system in which a clearcloat is applied over a color-imparting basecoat (wet on wet). The remaining 20 percent is a one-coat system in which a pigmented topcoat is applied and baked in a single layer.

Clearcoats and topcoats share similar performance properties. Both topcoats and clearcoats rely on polyurethane technology from Covestro.

Our polyurethanes are ideally suited as automotive clearcoats and topcoats providing:

  • Complete crosslinking even if cured at low temperatures
  • Tunable coating properties such as gloss and flow characteristics
  • Hardness, chip resistance, elasticity and self-healing of minor scratches
  • Good physical, chemical and weather resistance
  • Excellent optical properties
  • Good compatibility with primer surfacers and basecoats
  • Outstanding transparency

We offer a range of solventborne and waterborne one- (1K) and two- (2K) component polyurethane products for high-performance automotive clearcoats and topcoats.

High solids and ultra-high solids Desmodur® and Desmophen® polyisocyanates/polyols are available for the formulation of solventborne 2K polyurethane topcoats.

We offer waterborne Bayhydrol® and Bayhydur® polyols/polyisocyanates for 2K polyurethane clearcoats. Bayhydur® BL and Bayhydrol® dispersions also are available for 1K stoving systems.

All of these products help produce polyurethane-based coatings that meet the automotive industry’s highest performance standards.

 
There is no product in this productgroup.
There is no product in this productgroup available in your country.
There are no matches for this filter criteria. Please enter another criteria or press reset to see all results again.
There is no product for this keyproperty available in your country.
There is no product for this propertysearch. Please try with another criteria.
There is no product for this application.
There is no product for this technology.
Datasheet
Property Curves
Safety Data Sheets
Related Downloads
Login required
Products:
Product name
Information
Downloads
LOCATIONS & CONTACTS
Login
Register for more information
Forgot your password?
CAN WE HELP YOU?
CAN WE HELP YOU?
Feel free to contact us more »